There are some huge benefits of having a good legal recruiter in your corner.
The thing is we all get nervous before an interview.
Even those who say they don’t, do. They just have a way to manage those nerves.
1. consciously worked at it
2. subconsciously worked at it, absorbing the knowledge from their environment and/or peers
3. have simply developed a ‘self-talk’ that sees them through
The fact is they have a mechanism for handling the nerves.
Whichever one of the above camps you fall into, having a Pre- Interview Pep talk gives you a MASSIVE advantage compared to not having one.
Make no mistake – IF you want to ACE that interview you HAVE to Prepare
If you do this with a friend or relative, they can often do a good job at generally ‘G-ing’ you up but unless they are a legal recruitment consultant or hiring manager/ partner there is a good chance that there may be some key things they could miss that could really help you.
A good recruiter will identify what you need to work on at that time.
Amongst other things a good pre-interview pep talk will involve:
• Talking to you about the interview itself
• Who you will be meeting
• The type of question style to expect for this stage of your interview process
• The questions that you need to prepare for
• Talk through how to relate your experience to the opportunity you are interviewing for
• The research you need to do
• Potentially discussing subtle body language techniques - that work
• If you are really nervous there are other techniques that can be suggested (some do sound a little bit out there I admit)
• Help you handle the salary question
• Advise you on what questions to ask
There is a BUT here – You have to be honest.
If your legal recruiter is asking you how you are feeling about your upcoming interview – tell them.
If you’re not sure what questions to ask - they need to know, to help you add that string to your bow.
If you are worried about explaining moves on your cv – they can help you, but only if you tell them.
Most importantly a good legal recruiter can help identify what YOU needed to hear at the time to ready YOU for the interview. We are a bit like the Oracle - if you know your Matrix.
For further information, confidential advice, or a chat about the market and opportunities available to you, please feel free to get in touch with the team at G2 Legal.